Here’s what I’ve got on my to-read list next (not counting assigned readings for class):
- Finish Reading Like A Writer by Francine Prose. This was assigned to be read before the semester started, I didn’t get the book until after. I’m more than halfway done with it. Might as well finish it.
- Flannery O’Connor’s A Good Man Is Hard To Find and Other Stories. I’ve read the eponymous short story, but nothing else of hers. This comes back to a debate Amanda and I had about whether there are any female authors writing stuff I get excited about.
- Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried. Amanda recommended this to me after I told her we were reading O’Brien’s In The Lake Of The Woods for class. She said he writes the sort of stuff I get excited about.
- Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God. Another Amanda recommendation, also coming from that female authors discussion we had a few weeks ago.
- Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson’s The Illuminatus! Trilogy. A recommendation from another friend, I got 141 pages in (out of 805) when I had to put it down for my class. Dying to get back to this one.
- Otto Rank’s The Myth of the Birth of the Hero. This is one of the books I got this past Xmas from work. The introduction, which I’ve read, is illuminating.
- Apostles Athanassakis’s translation of The Homeric Hymns. Another JHUP book. It’s a slim volume, so I should be able to get through it in just a couple of days.
So that’s what I’ve got on my reading shelf now (not counting the six books left in my class this semester). Canelli, what have you got lined up?